|Emne||Antiques & collectables: books, manuscripts, ephemera & printed matter|
|Se flere detaljer|
In November 1834, Capt. Gilbert Knapp staked a claim to 141 acres at the mouth of the Root River, naming it Port Gilbert. This site became the city of Racine. During the pioneer years, Racine was dubbed "the Belle City" of the Great Lakes (from the French word belle, meaning "beautiful"). The growth of this beautiful city and its harbor was captured in vintage postcards at a time when people sent little notes and messages to friends and family theway people use e-mail and cell phones today. These cards are like vignettes showing the changes that have taken place since one century ago--a pictorialdocumentation of Racine preserved for future generations to enjoy.